Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Okay, I Admit It....

I'm pulling for the RedSox. I really, really, really want to see them win the World Series! And NO, before the wags out there start with the flaming arrows, I am not hopping on the band wagon. I am a dyed-in-the-wool Tigers fan. If you shaved my head you would probably find a birth mark in the shape of an Olde English D. Being a hardcore fan of the Detroit Tigers requires a sense of and appreciation for the history of the game because most seasons that is all we fans have to cling to.

It is this sense of history that compels me to root for the Sox and want to see them go all the way. I want to see Boston get the championship after such a long streak as they have had and I want to be able to tell my grandchildren that I saw it when it happened, when The Curse died.

I know that somewhere Ted Williams, Jimmy Fox and a host of other RedSox illuminaries are watching this game....hopefully from Heaven. I want them to see this club achieve what even their herculean efforts could not. It's that sense of triumph that has eluded a team for so long and is finally about to be realized. It's what every great sports movie is about. Everyone can relate to this kind of drama.

No, I'm not a RedSox fan per se. I always cheer for the American League team in the World Series....even the Yankees *Blech*. But this time around it's special. I don't just want to see the American League Champions win.... I want to see them embarrass the Cards. I want the 21st century's equivalent of the called shot.

I want a legend that I can recall for grandchildren on a cold, dark winter's eve.