Friday, December 10, 2004

The Good Things In Life

Today has been a markedly good day. After the string of stinkers that I have had earlier this week I would say that I'm on the ball as of now.

No stressful events have transpired and the boy did well with his teacher today, so his parents must be doing it right...LOL.

It's cold outside but it's great from where I'm sitting. I have a good cup of java, a deck of squares and I'm snuggled up to the record player. The joyful sounds of the big bands are permeating the atmosphere, filling every corner of the house with great old numbers like Vaughn Monroe's There I Go, Larry Clinton and his orchestra with Bea Wayne singing Heart And Soul, Tommy Dorsey's ClamBake Seven's The Music Goes Round And Round, Glenn Miller and his orchestra with Ray Eberle singing Sierra Sue and Fats Waller's All My Life.

It's great to be able to kick back and listen to music the way it used to be....truly great. Like I said to my wife the other night while watching a special on Betty Hutton on Turner Movie Classics, they don't make 'em like they used to. I said more than I thought I was saying at the time. The songs, the bands that played them and the singers that sang them. The movies, the cars, the clothes. The snappy line of patter that made Americans different. The rugged determination to succeed against all odds that made Americans better. The good things in life.