Thursday, December 30, 2004

A Sad Day For Me

Another little piece of my life has disappeared today. One of my favorite musicians died today. I guess that it is only to be expected when you consider that the music I listen to ceased to be popular half a century ago. That fact only makes the few living connections to that period all the more important, however.

Swing and jazz legend Artie Shaw died today. A great musician, an author, a supreme intellectual, a World War Two veteran, and a true Liberal back when being liberal was about correcting social injustice....not imposing it.

He was not a perfect man. He was the first to admit it. But his music made me happy and I thank him for it. I remember the first Artie Shaw tune I ever listened to, way back in 1984. It was Do I Love You, Helen Forrest sang it like only she could. My Tigers won the World Series that year...it was a good year.

I think I'll take advantage of the quiet and listen to some records.