Monday, December 27, 2004

That's It?

After all of that build up. After all of the anticipation. After all of those weeks of preparation and decorating.....endless weeks of my son begging and pleading to open up his gifts. Christmas 2004 is now over. In the past. History.

Christmas has always been the source of my favorite memories. The food, songs and atmosphere. A time when everyone seems a little nicer; when even the very air seems cleaner. Even the more cynical of you know what I am talking about.

And it's all over with so quickly. Much too quickly. I need Christmas to last a few days at least.

All American week at Ft. Bragg, celebrating the 82nd Airborne lasts longer than the celebration of the birth of the Christ. That just seems backward to me. Christmas seems to me like a passing train. It makes noise and causes the ground to tremble for a long time, yet it's actual passing is mere moments. And you are so caught up in the event that you don't have any time to notice much of what the train looks like. The train is passed and gone before you come to your senses.

Maybe I should just stop whining and buy a video camera.

Anyhoo, we had a blast. All of the family was there. Laughter and food was the order of the day, the food was as good as ever, but I can never get enough of the laughter.

My boy still can't get the overwhelmed look off his face....that's what I treasure the most, that he had a wonderful time.