Tuesday, June 14, 2005

It's That Time Of Year Again

It's dark, rainy and moist. dark purple clouds hang over the landscape, pregnant with donder und blitzen. And is it hot!

I am sitting here at my desk gazing lovingly at some plaques, certificates and photos hanging on my wall; keepsakes from a more exciting and fructifying time in my life, my old Army days. What better to do on the birthday of the United States Army? Then the thought hit me....with the season coming upon us in this part of the country, would I be able to save something special if a tornado struck? One of these trinkets on the wall? Or maybe the family Bible? How about the wedding album or my son's baby photos?

I couldn't possibly save everything that is near and dear to us whilst simultaneously shooing the family down the steps to the basement.

This was all fatuous reverie, however. An idle mind and all that. For you see, I actually do have a plan for such an emergency and running about the house like a fool gathering up family trifles has little to do with it.

What would you do if the weather ate your house or simply the electricity for a few weeks? A month or more? What would you consider as being indispensible to you and yours during an emergency? And most importantly....is it ready and at hand?